8 Days Kathmandu To Lhasa Overland Tour Via Everest
As Gyirong port now is open for international tourists, so we design this route for Kathmandu-Lhasa overland again. During the 8 days tour, you will start your travel from Kathmandu where you will be picked at Kathmandu, and we will transfer you to the border to make sure your trip more convenient. There are many breathtaking high plateau landscape to explore, through this route, you will know much about Tibet culture and Nature both.
At a Glance
Day 1 Kathmandu -- Syabrubesi (137km, 7 hrs)
Day 2 Syabrubesi -- Kyirong (40km, 4-5hrs) (B)
Day 3 Kyirong -- EBC -- Tingri (480km, 11 hrs) (B)
Day 4 Tingri -- Shigatse (280km, 7 hrs) (B)
Day 5 Shigatse -- Lhasa via Gyantse (375km) (B)
Day 6 Lhasa City Tour
Day 7 Lhasa City Tour
Day 8 Lhasa Departure (B)
Day 1: Kathmandu -- Syabrubesi (7 hrs,140 KM)
Our driver will pick you up from your hotel from 9:00-9:30 am. Then you will be driven to China Tibet border.
Stay overnight in village guest house in Syabrubesi
Day 2: Syabrubesi -- Kyirong (40km, 4-5hrs) (B)
After breakfast, we will set out and after 15 KM driving, you will get to the border and enter China. Our guide will wait for you there. Nearly 1 hour, we will reach Kyirong, where you can get the view of snow-capped mountains and flourishing forests.
Day 3: Kyirong -- EBC -- Tingri (11 hrs) (B)
Today, firstly, we will drive to pass through Peikutso lake and grassland. And then we continue to drive to Everest Base Camp, we will also visit the world highest Monastery -- Rongbuk Monastery. Along the road, you can view the splendid Himalaya Mountain Range at Gyawula Pass (5210m). At last, we will drive and reach Tingri.
Stay overnight in Tingri Hotel
Day 4: Tingri --Shigatse (7 hrs, 280KM) (B)
After breakfast, we will set out and drive to Shigatse, our today destination. We will get to Shigatse around early afternoon, and then we will take to visit one of the most famous and important Monastery in Shigatse area--Tashilunpo Monastery.
Stay overnight in Shigatse hotel
Day 5: Shigatse to Lhasa via Gyantse (375km) (B)
In the morning, we will set out and drive to Lhasa via Gyantse. You can see many Tibetan farmer villages. Also, we will visit Heritage town Gyantse old street and Perklor Monastery, Kumbum stupa and Manak Dam Lake, Karola Glacier and Yamdrok Lake along the way to Lhasa.
Stay overnight in Lhasa
Day 6: Lhasa City Tour - Potala Palace, Johkang Temple, and Barkhor Street (B, D)
After breakfast, your guide will pick you up from your hotel, and bring you to the Potala Palace which is the symbol of Tibet, built in 641AD, it is also the winter palace of the Dalai lama.
After lunch, we will go head to Jokhang temple which was founded by the 33rd great king of Tibet in the 7th century. It was the spiritual center of Tibet, pilgrims from every place of Tibet will trek here, making prostrating in front of Jokhang Temple. Around the temple is the famous Barkhor Street, where you can enjoy the traditional Tibetan tea and or buy some special souvenirs for your family members.
Day 7: Lhasa City Tour - Drepung, Sera Monastery (B)
In the morning, you will visit Drepung monastery which is one of the “great three” Gelug monasteries of Tibet, it has more than 500 years history as the largest monastery in the world, the famous annual Shoton Festival is also set here, and during this festival, they will exhibit the precious huge Thangka.
In the Afternoon, Tourists will visit another outstanding Gelug Monastery--Sera Monastery. The most important attention point is the famous Monks Scriptures debate at around 3 - 5 in the afternoon.
Day 8: Lhasa Departure (B)
Your guide will pick you up and transfer you to the airport or train station according to your schedule, finishing the meaningful tour.
1. Tibet Entry Permits and all other necessary Permits;
2. Entrance fees of all tourist sites listed in the itinerary;
3. Meals as specified in the itinerary;
4. Local tour Transfers, 5-29 seats comfortable Tourist Vehicle according to Group Size;
5. Local Tibetan English-speaking guide;
6. Comfortable Hotel Accommodations in big cities, Guest house in small town;
7. Service Charge & Government Taxes;
8. Arrangements include planning, handling, operational and communication charges;
9. Free Airport shuttle transfer between Lhasa Gongar airport and Hotel on designated time;
10. Tibet Handy Map;
11. Bottle Oxygen supply when travelling to high altitude;
12. Drinking water supply daily;
13. Drinking water provided;
14. Transfer service from Kathmandu to Nepal border included;
1. Tips to tour guide and driver, you are suggested to tip each of them 7 USD/dayin total;
2. Lunch and dinners are not included, please pay on site by yourself. approx. 5-7 dollar per meal;
3. International and Domestic flight, train to and leave Tibet;
4. Your own expense like drinking, shopping.